Every year, the SSC CGL (Staff Selection Commission Combined Graduate Level) conducts an exam to fill posts in government ministries and departments. Once applicants clear the SSC CGL exam, they get to work on various job profiles in group B and group C. Additionally, these jobs are considered elite and lucrative profiles in the country.
If you are planning to start preparing for the SSC CGL exams, first you must have thorough knowledge of this exam. Therefore, in the following write-up, you are going to read about all the information you need to know about this exam.
What is SSC CGL exam eligibility?
- The candidates have to complete their graduation degree in any stream.
- Candidates must be citizens of India, Nepal, or Bhutan. Plus, Tibetan refugees who came to India before January 1, 1962, are also eligible to take this exam.
- The age criteria for appearing in this exam is 21–27 for general category students.
- Additionally, there is some age relaxation for the reserved category candidates.
Does SSC CGL have an interview?
According to the SSC CGL new guidelines of 2022, candidates do not have to give any interview after clearing the exam. Therefore, candidates now get the job only after clearing the four stages: Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 3, and Tier 4.
What jobs can I get after clearing SSC CGL?
Below are some of the prominent job profiles students can get once they clear the SSC CGL exam-
- Assistance Audit Officer
- Income Tax Inspector
- Assistance Section Officer
- Central Excise Inspector
- Sub Inspector
- Tax Assistance
- Upper Division Clerk
- Assistant Enforcement Officer, and others.
Can 12th pass apply for SSC CGL?
No, a 12th grade student is not eligible to appear in the SSC CGL exam. The SSC CGL, or Staff Selection Commission Combined Graduate Level is an exam conducted for graduate students. Students who have completed their 12th grade can, however, sit for SSC exams for a variety of jobs such as Data Entry Operator, Postal Assistant, Stenograf, and many others.
Is preparation for SSC CGL a good choice?
The SSC CGL exams are considered among the toughest exams. Also, the job profiles offered after clearing this exam are very prestigious and reputable. So, students who want to serve their country by working in the government sector can prepare for this exam. Besides that, these jobs also help you have a stable job and a secure future by giving you financial freedom.
What is the new syllabus of SSC CGL exam?
Below is the stagewise syllabus of the SSC CGL exam.
Exam syllabus for Tier 1-
- General Awareness
- General Intelligence and Reasoning
- Quantitative Aptitude
- English Comprehension
Exam syllabus for Tier 2-
- Quantitative Ability
- General Studies (Economics and Finance)
- English Language and Comprehension
Exam syllabus for Tier 3-
Writing essays, letters, application tests, etc.
Exam syllabus for Tier 4-
Data entry speed test (DEST)Computer Proficiency Test (CPT)
Major points of SSC CGL exam pattern-
- Tier 1 and tier 2 will be conducted in online mode while the next two stages will be in offline mode.
- Tier 1 exam consists of 100 questions, and the total marks are 200. Additionally, students get one hour (60 minutes) to solve the paper.
- Tier 2 exams have four papers and a total of 500 questions from four subjects. The total marks are 800 for all subjects. However, students get 120 minutes for each paper.
- Tier 3 is descriptive and students have to take the exam in Hindi or English. The duration of this exam is 1 hour and the total marks of this paper is 100.
- It also has negative marking, so 1/4 points are deducted for each incorrect answer in Tier 1.In tier 2, ¼ mark is cut in English and ½ mark for other papers.
Is the CGL Exam tough?
Yes, when it comes to the level of difficulty SSC CGL exam is one of the toughest exams. Plus, it is also true that there are a large number of applications every year to fill a few posts. This is another reason why it makes it hard to crack this exam. However, one can clear this exam with the right mindset and dedication.
Many students dream of working in the government sector and serving their country. Also, they want to do something to improve society. So, if you also aspire to have any prominent jobs in the public sector, SSC CGL can fulfill your dream.
Furthermore, passion for studies and discipline are key aspects in the preparation of this exam. Plus, reliable and good study resources work as an essential supplement in your exam preparation. So, if you are preparing for the SSC CGL exam, then you can consider various resources such as the evidya SSC CGL book and question paper.